Please be careful if your property is subject to Hazards

Please be careful when considering cash settlements if your land is subject to hazards. The revised District Plan may render your land un-usable. The district plan will identify where repairs or rebuilds are allowed and where no development is allowed.

CCC has legal obligations to follow the New Zealand Coastal Policy Statement 2010 – 

The District Plan is Councils ability to limit development in natural hazard areas

This opinion provides advice on the potential liability councils may face as a result of re-drawing hazards lines/zones in coastal areas and flood plains. The advice covers liability risk for councils in terms of the RMA, Building Act and for general information requests under LGOIMA, PIMs and LIMs. The advice also addresses the question of what defines ‘best available information.’

See legal opinion here.

This is likely to affect hundreds if not thousands of homes in Christchurch.

Floor Area of your property

The term floor area has a legal definition as per the New Zealand building code.

“floor area, in relation to a building, means the floor area (expressed in square metres) of all interior spaces used for activities normally associated with domestic living”

This is in harmony with how calculations of “floor area” are on architectural drawings for building work. Commonly information from building plans is used when insurance is arranged. Floor Area is the term used in insurance contracts.

If you have legal plans of your property, (available from Council) you can rely on those figures.

Houses are insured on “Floor Area” not to be confused with area of house. Check your policy.
Having a 100m2 groundfloor and 10m2 room in roof cavity does not require insurance of 230m2 “Floor Area”. 
But 110m2 as per building plans.
House area is something that has appeared after the earthquakes. Check out the ANZ site here, second reference is to the building plans that is the correct one.
Then they offer you a guide to measure the outside.
What is the purpose of a Code of Conduct if they practice in this way.